Tuesday, November 17, 2009

BOSS;MANAGER;LEADER ???

Few years back I was deputed in US on a business trip when working with my
ex -organization.

The day I was in office I came to know the gentle man to whom I was supposed to report has been transferred to take care of Japan business.

After few days later our entire team was meeting with new our VP in the office. Even though we knew him earlier, he introduced himself and was gently questioning each one of us on the status of the product, the business and it's growth. One after the other was giving him a positive jibe until something strange happened. One of our fellow colleague who is shrewd and highly competent categorically replied "I don't know". Entire room became silent and then VP asked him again "that's ok, what best we can do to see that we do something better". The answer was same and in turn he replied it was his old VP who was looking after the business growth and not him. This conversation has turned the room temperature hot. Every other person was wondering what will be the outcome, there was an uncanny silence in the room. VP's face was red and he went out of the room,

As we were holding our breaths, he just came in with a bunch of papers and supplied to each one of us. It was written as BOSS, MANAGER and LEADER and its meaning against each one, then what followed has been etched in my memory for a long time, "let me know how do you want me to work with you, I can be a boss, manager or a leader, I don't mind in doing that, at the same time if you have million dollars at home don't work me". Perfect! he left the room.

This episode was an eye opener for me to all the jargons of leader, boss.. etc more importantly got exposed to some of the early lessons in professional career. The best part was the gentleman and VP worked closely for next 3 - 4 years and had a very high regard for each other. That's really professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment